Friday, May 16, 2014

Day 5

I can't believe that, in a week, we will be getting ready to head home.  This week has gone really fast and been exhausting also.  Today we worked on tracking in the morning.  Both boys went with Chris and hid and Jeremy (the training supervisor) and I ran the track with Panga.  We had two extras following along and once or twice Panga got distracted with us running behind her, but she did end up finding the boys fairly quickly even with pausing and losing the scent at one point.  Levi wasn't feeling very well so I took the boys and Chris back to the hotel right after our track.

Panga and I then went back to the center and worked on "under" and people walking up to the dogs trying to distract them out of their command.  We also worked on someone walking past them with a shopping back full of pupperoni treats.  Panga did great at first but then started getting curious of the shopping bag.  A few corrections and she was heeling perfectly again.

After a break, we then went to the mall.  She rocked it.  I was so proud of her.  We did have multiple people come up to us while there.  I was impressed that everyone asked before petting her.  One lady got a little excited and started to pet her before I could put her in a command.  I just politely told her I needed to have her sit first and the lady waited.  Panga did awesome staying in command and only had to be corrected once when a little boy was petting her.  When we are out in public, it is completely our decision whether we allow people to pet her or not.  We can specify that she is working and to not pet her.  We will take it on a case by case situation.  There will be times that we need to get in and out of a store quickly and I will not be able to stop for everyone to pet her.  If we have time, I don't mind someone petting her as long as they ask first.  This will take some getting use to because I know it will be different when we get home.  The mall is where the trainings always happen so the community here is pretty use to the dogs being there and how to interact with them.  It will take some educating on my part when we get back home.

After I got her back to the hotel, I took Kasen back to the mall.  He got to go to Build A Bear and then we went downstairs and found a train going around.  Of course he had to ride.  He did get upset when the ride was over and threw a fit leaving the mall.  At one point he did run off from me.  Luckily, he was close enough for me to say "okay, I'm leaving...bye!" and he ran back.  We will be working on tethering soon which will allow him and Levi to be attached to Panga so they can't just run off.  I'm ready for that training! :)

Tomorrow morning is more tracking work.  Hoping it's not raining this time. :)
Wore out 





Me and Panga at the Mall training














No comments:

Post a Comment